We now have more than 100 birds on the farm! about 15 heritage Turkey poults, about 30 Pheasants, and almost 60 Guinea keets. We should have had more, but this year has offered a big learning curve and we seem to have embraced learning the hard way after a very easy and trouble free year 1.
- Incubator failures gave us a low hatch (now corrected)
- Stressed shipped chicks , 2/3rds died (we ordered more)
- Inadequate pen netting, birds escaped (now replaced and reinforced)
- Predator in one pen (a lovely Wood Rat made a home for her new family and harvested 4 birds right under our noses! Bob shot her.)
This morning Bob and I put finishing touches on the middle pen netting and buried hardware cloth to accommodate the new brood house! We moved the Turkeys into that new house and Bob let the Pheasants back into the middle pen. We still have to finish the 1600 sq. ft flight pen so we can move the Pheasants there, reseed the small pens and allow them to recover for the Guineas and Turkeys.